Friday, April 6, 2007

Business Ethics: Sometimes It's Hard To Do The Right Thing

"So now I'm in a pickle," Michelle concluded. "Do I do what is right, or do I stay on the Senior VP's good side?"

"I hope that is a rhetorical question," Cheryl replied. "You know the answer." Cheryl had just invested in three cups of coffee while her mentoring partner described an agonizing issue at the office. As Michelle's mentor for almost two years, she had witnessed her protégé's impressive climb up the career ladder. Michelle began as a manager in a national fast food chain and worked her way to supervisor while still in college. Just after graduating, she was offered a corporate position in the franchising department. At age twenty-six, Michelle had reached a position of considerable influence, including an especially prestigious role on the franchise-approval committee.

Here's how that committee operates: In order to secure the right to own and operate one of the company's restaurants, prospective franchisees must win the approval of representatives from finance, real estate, and operations. Each member has veto power over the applicant's fate. As the operational link, Michele held significant responsibility and this assignment was a real jewel in her career crown. But it now held the potential for stopping her career in its tracks. Thus, Michelle had called her mentor for this midnight, Waffle House rendezvous.

"So let me make sure I've got this straight. Your boss sent word to you—he didn't talk to you directly, he just had his assistant tell you? Is that right?" Cheryl was as incredulous over the boss's cowardice as she was his blatant bigotry.

Michelle nodded. "Of course he wasn't going to tell me directly. He is a corporate officer. He needs to maintain deniability."

Cheryl could understand why he wanted to keep some distance from the message. He had ordered Michelle to veto the application of a franchise candidate named Sadid Patel. "Yep, that's exactly right. Mr. Senior Vice President had his assistant order me to veto him, because he feels we have too many foreigners in the system as it is," Michelle summarized.

"Any chance that finance or real estate will do the dirty work before you have to meet with him?" Cheryl was fishing here, hoping to find a way Michelle could sidestep the conflict.

"Not a chance. His finances are impeccable and he has picked a prime site to build on. Besides, they've both already signed off on him." Michelle continued to stare at the wall just behind Cheryl's seat, as if the answer might be written somewhere within the wallpaper. "There's no way around it. Tomorrow at 10:30, I can either perform a reprehensible act or I can see my career come to slithering stagnation at the age of twenty-six."

Michelle picked up her napkin and wiped at a small water spot on the table. Maybe just this once I can compromise a principle, she thought. Just this one time. Finally making direct eye contact, she quietly added, "You've always told me that I have to pick my battles."

Cheryl returned the eye contact and firmly replied, "And you know this is one you've got to pick, Michelle."

****** ****** ****** ******

It was eight o'clock the next evening. Cheryl and Michelle were occupying the same seats in the same coffee shop. "Well, let it out," Cheryl said. "You have that distant look on your face. What did you decide to do?"

"The only thing I could do," Cheryl replied. "I couldn't be a part of any racist act." Michelle took a deep breath and slowly let it out. "So, I approved Mr. Patel. He has his franchise." Michelle leaned back in her seat, continued stirring the coffee but never drinking from the cup.

"Good for you. I know it was tough, but you did the right thing." Cheryl was relieved to know that Michelle had valued integrity and character over developing a plastic career. But, Michelle was looking even more distraught than she did last night. Cheryl figured the VP must have come down hard. She decided to reassure Michelle that her career was not over. "Hey kid," she said with a kind smile. "There are other companies."

"Oh, no, that's not it. I'm not worried about my job anymore." Michelle allowed a slight smile to interrupt her malaise. "Before meeting with Patel, I had a short meeting with my boss. I let him know that if I ever even sensed him blocking my career, I would make a beeline to the president and maybe even the Justice Department. He got my message loud and clear. He won't be an issue."

"Well, now. I'll bet that knocked him on his keister." Cheryl was impressed with Michelle's preemptive strike. "But why are you upset? You should be ecstatic. It was an incredible day!"

"I'm not so sure about that, Cheryl." Michelle paused to press a napkin to her glistening eyes. "I really don't think I did the right thing."

Cheryl was stunned. "How can you possibly say that? How could you possibly doubt your actions?"

Michelle spoke slowly and with an intensity Cheryl had never before heard from her. "Because Mr. Patel is, without question, the most unqualified person I have ever interviewed for a franchise approval. He has no understanding of customer service, looks down his nose at foodservice workers, and had no concept of quality standards." Michelle leaned forward, "Cheryl, I approved a compete incompetent as a franchisee of the very company that entrusted me to select its business partners. I violated that trust."

Michelle paused and then quietly added: "Now, where is the integrity in that?"