Monday, April 2, 2007

Rules are Not Made to be Broken

Are you surprised when you read and hear about all of the corruption within business these days? I'm not. The way people act in business situations is nothing more than a reflection of how they act in their normal lives. Why would we expect anything different?

I am a follower of rules. I believe that rules are there to give everyone an equal opportunity to enjoy the benefits that our great nation provides. I get angry when people don't follow the rules.

I don't like seeing people park in handicap zones, with or without a handicap tag, when they don't need to. I get irritated when shoppers take 15 items and check out in a 10 item or less line. I don't like to listen while people talk about how they managed to by-pass the cable company and get their cable TV for free. You get the idea. When people don't follow the rules, those of us who do pay the price. I guess those folks believe that the rules are made for everyone else and not for them. Their selfishness comes before rules.

I have a sign on my wall that reminds me of this, it says, "He who follows the rules gets screwed." It is not there to suggest that I not follow rules, rather to remind me not to get too angry when people don't. Every now and then I get comforted when I see someone who did not follow the rules get their just reward.

Last week a news story reported that an elementary school teacher was arrested in her classroom in front of her class. The story, and of course, the lady arrested, thought it was horrible that the police came into the school room in front of these young children and embarrassed her over a parking ticket that she did not pay. It turns out she had more than one outstanding parking ticket and they were several years old.

To bad lady, you broke the rules and thought you could get away with it. The fact that you were embarrass in front of your class is your own fault. Do you think those of us who follow the rules should be considerate of your feelings when you obviously don't care about ours? And the kids, let them see what happens when people don't follow rules. Let us reinforce good actions by clearly punishing poor actions.

My hope is that by doing so, these kids will grow up following rules. Remember, the way people act in their normal lives will carry over to their business lives. Do you want businesses to become less corrupt? Cheer the small victories we get when those who refuse to follow rules get caught. I want to change my sign to read, "He who follows the rules wins."