Friday, April 6, 2007

Driving Home the Culture of Honesty

I accompanied a visiting friend from my apartment in Singapore to a taxi waiting downstairs.

He climbed into the back seat and promptly sat on a wallet left behind by the previous passenger.

My friend looked inside the wallet and found money, credit cards and personal identification. I suggested taking the wallet upstairs right away to call the owner. The taxi driver allowed me to copy down the necessary information…but he wouldn’t let the wallet out of his sight.

He did not speak English well, but he made his message very clear. ‘My duty,’ he gestured to explain. ‘She left wallet in my taxi. I must report to company right away. Then I must return the wallet!’

This culture of honesty and personal responsibility deserves an honorable mention. Every year Singapore taxi drivers return hundreds of books, wallets and packages accidentally left behind by passengers.

The drivers consider it a matter of honor to return the items in person. Taxi companies consider it a commendable action and duly note the deed in a driver’s permanent record.

Bravo for the culture surrounding, and supporting, the taxi drivers of Singapore.

Key Learning Point
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When a culture is strong and supported, individual behavior naturally aligns with the intention and commitment of the group.

Action Steps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What can you do to promote a strong culture? What actions should you take, and what traditions should you reinforce, to strengthen your culture and your values?