Saturday, March 24, 2007

2007 Philosophical Business Question; Why Are People So Untrusting?

Have you ever noticed how untrusting people are? What is the cause of all this? Is it the media scaring people into believing that everyone is a scam artist? Is it the government causing mistrust amongst the masses to further propel law enforcement agencies, which in turn make more rules and regulations to control? Is it the Internet where everyone runs around using a false “pen name” as they practice deceit?

Recently, I was discussing some possible ideas for someone who wished to start their own business. They asked me some questions and I asked them some questions as well. Then their wife Esmirelda asked George, why is this guy helping you; what is in it for him? I found this interesting, as since when is it wrong to simply help someone or your fellow man? The gentleman then confronted me with this question and told me his wife wanted to know.

So I thought about it, why was I helping this man and discussing such things with him and giving him my advice that he had asked me for? I guess my goals of helping him and his family were somewhat personal; I think my reason for helping include; to keep your family together, help them start their dream small business, delete the stress of George, save their kids from hardship and for fun or intellectual exercise. The business was to be an education center for the arts.

For me I guess my wanting to help stemmed from some other interesting observations I had previously. It was something I saw a video on Education in the World from TED, as I think the speaker, Ken Robinson is right (see for yourself);