Monday, April 16, 2007

Cinderella is Not My Role Model

Women from my generation have been under a ceiling of money myths and those myths need to be broken in order for us to be free to become as wealthy as we have ability.

Let's think to ourselves: "What is my wealth image and how has this money myth affected my inner image about wealth?"

My very favorite movie when I was a little girl was "Cinderella" (the Disney cartoon); I watched it over and over. I began daydreaming of my own Prince Charming. You would have thought that I would have grown out of that but you must realize...women in my previous generation (my Mom’s generation) were really taught that you finish high school, get married and have children. That's it!! And that’s what they tried to pass down to us. But my generation was supposed to be the revolutionary one where we were going to change the world (I mean just listen to the music of the sixties and you’ll see what I mean) but those imprinted ideas are like glue...they stick. (Or think of it like gum stuck in your hair…you must cut it out to get it out.) My mother didn't help much because she was only interested in who I was dating and was I going to get married. Like there was nothing more to my life than that. But I did break the tradition and was the first in my family line to go to college and I did pursue my career in the field of architecture. I was a divorced/single mother then and I did raise my child. I did marry but what I did not find was my Prince Charming. I did not find my rescuer who took care of my every need for the rest of my life. I looked for it somehow knowing it was unrealistic; but when you are “brainwashed” to believe it, it does make it hard to let that idea go. And think of the pressure it puts on a man, what a heavy weight that is to carry.

Another part of the Cinderella story that gets ingrained into our thinking is the poverty mentality. The Cinderella story makes it look so romantic for Cinderella to be wearing rags, slaving for her wicked stepmother, living with the rats. The picture is painted too cute. She does all this and waits for her rescuer. So even now when I’m watching TV there are movies or shows that come on and they show the same thing and I have started saying out loud: “Poverty is not romantic. Being poor and hungry and in need is not romantic. Not having enough is not romantic” no matter how TV tries to make it look that way. Then I switch to another channel and the opposite is on…there’s a show about people buying islands or who has the most luxurious yacht. Now I’m all for being able to afford nice things, a nice house (or an extremely nice house), etc. But wealth affords the balance of being extremely rich and being an extreme help to the world around us. It doesn’t mean you give everything away but it doesn’t mean you spend it all on yourself. But before we get that far we must first begin to dispel money myths so we can be free to receive. Begin to think or even right down on paper what money myths you may have and may be preventing you from moving into your wealthy place.